Saturday, March 29, 2008

Jesus in Target

Spring in New England often includes 30-40 degree temps and snow. Despite having lived out of the south for many years now, this still just feels wrong. I wouldn't say that I suffer from S.A.D. ( creates such an appropriate acronym for seasonal affective disorder), but at times feel a bit stir crazy, wanting to spend time outside, but not able to do so for long with sweet Witt. It just isn't fun for him when it is so cold. On days when we have no music or "gym" class, one of our (my) favorite destinations, our home away from home, is Target. No store could be more appropriately named for parents with young children, because what I have come to realize is that Target is not the actual name of the store, rather what one becomes upon entry through those automated doors. I am like the proverbial kid in a candy store as I enter, my eyes wide as saucers checking off the "to-buy" list as my cart fills with even more of the "not so much in need of". In one place, I can drop off film for one hour processing, enjoy a highly caffeinated beverage from Starbucks, pick up a few grocery items, check clearance in baby, women's, men's, home goods, not to mention health and beauty, and finally pick up my film because at this point an hour has definitely passed. As I exit with receipt in hand, again eyes wide as saucers, but this time from M.S.R. (monetary shock response), and my Target theory proven, I vow to never go back again, well not until next week anyway.

A few nights ago as I was vacuuming at the church thoughts of Target entered my mind, for several days have passed since my last visit. Could I be experiencing Target "withdrawals"? And then I began to think about what state I'm in when a day or days pass and I haven't taken time to spend with our Lord, reading His Word and in prayer. Do I experience Jesus "withdrawals", longing to be with Him, the One who calls me by name and loves me with His love that is everlasting? Am I craving Jesus daily? We are often so distracted pursuing our "to-buys" and "to-dos" that we fail to pursue Him, but He is faithful and always "shows up", even in Target.

"May I never dally in the world and its allurements,
but walk by thy side,
listen to thy voice,
be clothed with thy graces,
and adorned with thy righteousness."

from "Christ is All", The Valley of Vision

1 comment:

Chris, Anna and Ava said...

I can so relate to this....ask anyone, Target is my happy place! I can only pray that I pursue the Lord with the same "gusto" as I do the worldly desires that I work so hard at rewarding myself with...I know this...He is the only thing that gives me fulfillment! May I cling to this daily! Thank you again, Lauren, for your inspiring words!!! This is your ministry to me!!!