Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Emotional leftovers and....banana soft serve

I think about food a lot! I love the process of planning meals, searching online and through my well loved cookbooks for ideas, making lists (I tend to shop 2-3 stores), and preparing the meals. I intentionally left off the actual shopping bit because unless I am doing that part on my own at 10:00 pm, then I typically do not enjoy that piece. Anyone else with me on that? When I am on my own I peruse the aisles as if I were in a museum marveling at all of the glorious works of art. A glass of wine in hand would make it a perfect experience.
I must admit by most standards I spend an inordinate amount of time in this "food process". My boys would be happy with hot dogs and pizza, but for me, that would be depressing. I want them to be adventurous in their food endeavors, to be active in the process of touching, choosing, and preparing their food. I want them to understand what it means to eat in season and when waiting in line to purchase food I want that to be at a farmer's market, CSA, or grocery, not a fast food chain. Witt talks regularly about a garden, and that is so exciting to me, a project for the spring for sure. Last week he "planted" eight frozen corn kernels outside our front door. Everyday he asks why they aren't growing-very cute.
Having said that, I also find myself exhausted from this weekly meal planning process. The financial piece always stresses me out in a big way. Cooking healthy and delicious meals is so expensive, just thinking about it brings on migraine. And as much as I love to cook, I am often uninspired. I seem to go through spurts. What I try to do is spend several hours over the weekend cooking and freezing so that I have some breathing room for 8-12 meals. In the past I always thought of the freezer as my enemy for anything other than frozen veggies, a variety of Trader Joe's goodies, and a couple half gallons of ice cream. Now, our freezer is full of frozen meals and meats. Why the change of heart? For sanity's sake. I find the initial sacrifice of time is well worth it....for the most part.
As I was removing chicken enchiladas in a pumpkin sauce from the freezer (my kids did not love these, but ate them twice) I began to think about how we eat "leftovers" regularly and I have no shame in that but the relational parallel does make me feel shame. It occurred to me that I serve "emotional leftovers" on a daily basis, really unhealthy stuff. If I put as much time into serving Paul and the boys, being fully available to them as I do preparing, shopping for and cooking food, our lives would look a lot different. Our home would be happier, more joyful. My running on fumes has an adverse effect on EVERYONE, I am well aware of this. My good intentions have become the enemy to what is best and this is where I would love some feedback. I would love some great ideas on budgeting, good websites for healthy wallet and kid friendly meals...you get the idea. I am really not sure how many people read this blog. I read several "blog of a blog of a blog" of someone I know. If that is the case with you and I have know idea who you are, please don't let that be prohibitive in leaving a comment or suggestion. I will not think you are a weirdo. I am looking forward to some feedback.

What about the banana soft serve?? I know I am so random. I should be posting a recipe for chocolate peppermint ice cream cake, but this banana soft serve is too cool not to share because the only ingredient is bananas and the only 'tool' required is a food processor, but the only problem is my stinkin computer won't allow me to add any pictures right now. I will try again tomorrow. Or if you'd like check out the recipe at www.choosingraw.com, that is if you like bananas.:) I am sure you must be thinking that's what I am, or maybe just nuts!

Ciao for now...

3 comments:

Alex and Emily said...

I know what a tight budget looks like so I'd love some tips too! Here's some mine--eat meatless a few times a week (veggie chilli, pasta primavera, lentil soup, veg lasagna, quiches). Shop at Costco/Sams Club--the savings can be tremendous if you don't over buy. Sadly, there's not Whole Food shopping in our house. Eat is all--we freeze a lot too. Make a meal, eat it, freeze, and pull it out in 2 weeks. It makes leftovers more exciting. "Clean out the fridge nights"--some meals are totally random and weird, but I really try to make what we have last as long as possible b/c groceries are a huge chunk of our monthly budget.

I'd love to hear other ideas!

Paul, Lauren, Witt, and Nash said...

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the suggestions. Either no one else who happens to read this blog has any, or no one else actually reads.:) Eating meatless is a great idea! Meat is definitely pricey and increases the grocery bill significantly. we are members of BJ's but mostly use it for bulk paper products and some frozen items. What items do you purchase there that you find cost effective? I need some serious direction! I should also utilize coupons more but often get discouraged because I am not going to load up on bologna and kool-aid drinks. It seems the items I shop for are never on sale. I also have intentions of making our bread which I need to get on and I have been making hummus which is great. Besides dipping veggies or pita, I buy flat bread, spread a layer of hummus and then add "random" food like rice and leftover butternut squash. It has taken me years to streamline, but I have a LONG way to go. I do shop at W.F. but only for a very specific few items. It seriously stresses me out thinking @ how much $ we spend monthly. It is definitely a HUGE chunk of our monthly income. Thanks again for your suggestions.

emily reilly said...

I love to cook and plan a menu every saturday for the week. I go grocery shopping on Sundays (sometimes have to go back once during the week, but that is when I end up spending silly money). I fortunately get to leave the kids with my husband at home and stick to my list. If it isn't on the list then I really didn't need it - very few exceptions there (after lots of fighting I have learned to say no to myself). I really try to stick to $150 a week. Some weeks are a little more, but I have gotten pretty good. I love the deals at my local grocery store (tend to stay away from whole foods - too pricey), but I still make something homemade every night. I freeze stuff, too. Don't really have advice, but I really do think that having a list and set meals for the week really helps to keep you on budget. I LOVE the small 'Everyday Food' magazine. I have a subscription for $5 a year (1 issue per month). I always find about 6-8 new meals/desserts to try and the best part is the recipes focus on produce that is in season - so that helps with cost. I do get into ruts and feel like I make the same thing all of the time! And the worst part is that my kids are VERY picky and would really rather eat Annie's mac and cheese than my homemade meals...but it doesn't offend me because I hope that it changes in the future! :) We are moving and I am curious to see if food is less expensive in the midwest?

Your banana recipe sounds delicious! I am going to try it this week with my boys.