Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Coke and marshmallows

A few days ago as the boys were running wild through the house, (which by the way looked as if I had invited twelve monkeys over for a play date) I thought to myself: From the outside looking in, it would appear I feed my children coke and marshmallows for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It seemed dually funny in a comical and 'I give up' kind of way,  but it also made me feel inept, like I am totally incapable of bringing order into our home and setting a tone of calm at least 1% of our waking lives. And then I remembered that they ARE boys, aged three and one, and if our house didn't constantly look like twelve monkeys (on crack) were over destroying playing something would actually be awry. I am very thankful my life is what it is!! Witt constantly reminds me that he needs to "get his exercisin' ". I purchased a pair of $9 running shoes for Witt recently so that at 12:00, 2:00, 4:00, and 6:00, Witt can get his exercisin' by running laps through our home. He loves it, and I love that he loves it. It also provides an opportunity for me to work on creating yummy meals for them like turkey chili w/ butternut squash and apples and whole wheat banana pancakes! But, I should probably join him on occasion for some exercisin' since it definitley looks like I eat marshmallows and drink coke for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

3 comments:

Alex and Emily said...

It's only calm when they are sleeping, right? Totally exhausting.

That photo with the snorkeling mask is awesome!

emily reilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emily reilly said...

hi---(i am not sure what happened i posted a comment and then it disappeared), but i discovered your blog via sayward's blog. i am a stay at home mom of two boys (2 & almost 4), so i find a lot of similarities in our lives. my house looks like 12 monkeys are running wild daily, too! i trip over toys and have boys 'exercisin' all day long! at the end of the day when all is calm i try to clean up and bring some order back into our home - and sometimes the disorder takes over until the next day and instead of cleaning up i just take a seat and rest!! :)