Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sweet Henry (Gus) :)

Paul and I took Witt to a local Firetruck Museum on Monday while Ouma kept Henry and he loved it so much. It was great to take him out to do something special.
Super cute boy. Just after I took this shot I asked Witt if he could take a step and of course he fell over. But he was laughing when he stood up.

Paul and I were both impressed with Witt's interpretation of our family.


Unlike his brother, Henry sleeps a lot on his vibrating seat.


Yummy cheeks



Peace baby!

Initially Witt did not like for me to feed Henry. He would say, "No like that mommy. Henny eat other 'nunch' (lunch)." He wanted Henry to eat "real" food. Now he just says, "Baby sister eatin nunch" while I feed him. He is very interested in the pump as you can see from the above pic. Too bad I can't pass the duty on to him .:)

Precious boys


Proud Ouma

Giants! Steeler football 2030!!

Henry is one week and one day old today. We are loving life with him and Witt is adjusting really well although he continues to refer to him as "baby sister". When he calls him by name he says "Henny" which I love and have been calling him as well. When I called the ped's office to schedule his first appointment, after hearing his full name the nurse replied, "well I'm glad he wasn't born in September." She was assuming his middle name is August because that's his birth month. Really?? We are not that goofy I promise. We had a really tough time choosing his name. We both really liked Henry but I would change my mind about twice a day and we didn't fully commit to his name until about 1 hour before we checked out of the hospital. I think Gus is such a cute name, but Paul wasn't so much on board with it. But August is a proper name in which the nickname Gus is derived or Augie which I really like too. So Henry it is, with Gus "on the side" for me.:) Theo, Miles, Porter, Reed, Beckett, and Stone amongst others were on our short list as well. Henry means "ruler of the home" and August means "great" or "exalted". In his short time with us, he has proven to be both. I am not sure what boy name means "large" but that would be appropriate as well. Henry already looks like he's about three months old, and we are loving every bit of his chubbiness.

His arrival was so much different than Witt's. My water "broke" with Witt about 45 minutes before he was born. When I arrived at the hospital with Witt I was at 6 cm and he was born just 1 1/2 hrs later. Although it was painful and I had intense back labor, compared to my experience with Henry,Witt's birth seems like a walk in the park. With Henry my water broke at home and we were in the hospital almost 18 hrs before he was born. By the time I delivered I had been up for almost 36 hrs with a few 45 minute cat naps. We were told that often when one's water breaks one's body isn't always ready for labor and such was the case with me. Although contractions started Monday evening they all but stopped by 8:30 am on Tuesday. So my midwife started pitocin at 5:30 pm and by 6:30 I felt like I was going to DIE and I am not speaking in hyperbole. My contractions were super intense and began coming so close together (15-20 seconds) I felt like I was just having one big contraction. There seemed to be no position for me to be in that would keep Henry's heart rate stable so I got into the tub and that did not help either. After about 15 minutes I started pleading for some pain meds to help take the edge off (weight of the world). My midwife agreed, but said that could only happen when he stabilized. At that point I moved onto the bed and when she checked me I was at 8, too late for pain meds! Henry was born @ 45 minutes later. My contractions stopped at the very end and they were going to administer more Pitocin but at some point I had pulled my iv out so that didn't happen. I just pushed as I was instructed and my awesome midwife basically pulled him out. He had the cord around his neck and looked blue but pinked up really quickly and had great APGAR scores. But I absolutely just melted down after all of this. It was really scary. And what I didn't mention was that I birthed him while I was on my knees leaning over the bed. It almost felt like I wasn't even there, so surreal! This was all probably to much information, but helpful for me to just write it out. We are so thankful he is here with us and doing so well. Praise God!!


4 comments:

c. hodgson said...

Congratulations guys! What a sweet name, Henry (Gus) August.

The Traynums said...

Congrats! Henry is ADORABLE! Witt seems like such a great big brother!
What sweet boys! :)

The Traynums said...

Congrats! Henry is ADORABLE! Witt seems like such a great big brother!
What sweet boys! :)

Sayward said...

Wow. What an amazing story of your strength and Henry's determination to come into this world. We're so excited to meet him. No pressure about seeing us while you're here for Megan's wedding, as I know you have SO much to do for that. We're praying for you and your now bigger family!