Sunday, August 17, 2008

ALWAYS read the label!

Witt loves to brush his teeth. I still have not made it a regular part of our routine, perhaps because he only has 4 and two 1/2 teeth at fifteen months, and I guess somehow it doesn't seem necessary (yes, I know that is terrible, anyway...). In an effort to make it part of our routine, and so he doesn't end up with only 4 and two 1/2 teeth at fifteen I provided him with his toothbrush yesterday as I was brushing my teeth. He has quite the selection of toothpaste ranging from strawberry/banana to orange cream and few in between. But, yesterday we (I) accidentally added a new flavor to his repertoire. A wee man after his mother's own heart,Witt really enjoys sweets and so with flavors like orange cream to be enjoyed he prefers slurping all of the toothpaste from the brush, much more than the actual process of brushing. I allow this squirt and slurp fest about three times a session as a means of tummy ache prevention and conservation. I've finally discovered money doesn't grow on trees. :) But I digress. The wee man did not seem super eager for a second round yesterday as evidenced by his lack of "uh uh uh's" typically accompanied by serious pointing towards the desired object, which seemed a bit odd. I still obliged him, but by the look on his face and the peculiar but somehow familiar looking white residue lingering in his mouth I knew we weren't dealing with your run of the mill fruitiness. No Witt was enjoying(?) a little zinc oxide and calendula! Yes, that's right, Witt was the recipeint of an unfair trade with zero say so, a bum deal (pun intended) so to speak... toothpaste for buttpaste. As I ponder the consequences of the opposite scenario, I'd take buttpaste in the mouth over toothpaste on the butt anyday!! How about you? As you can imagine I felt horrible about what I did, but I'll have to say I also laughed equally as much, but only after I called Poison Control that is. And I am sure whomever I spoke with at P.C. enjoyed a chuckle or two at this pathetic mother's expense! I am so thankful I didn't have to give my name, and I'll have to confess I did not explain exactly how he came to ingest a little Burt's Bees. Redemption in it all? That horrible diaper rash we've been battling for the last four weeks really looked much better today! Hey Jenna, maybe you should resume consumption of Tinkerbell lotion. The benefits of consumption look to far outweigh mere application (ha)! :)

1 comment:

Sayward said...

We visit the pediatric dentist, b/c Spencer pulled one of her teeth out when she was 8 months old. But, now I've noticed some "wierd" stuff on her teeth. Low and behold, she's FULL of cavities. Ug. So, we've got an appointment to have the cavitites taken care of October 10. She said to not even worry about the "baby toothpaste" that even water and just brushing those teeth is exactly what needs to be done, two times a day. We've tried the ritual infront of the sink, with fun toothpaste, but we now pin her down and really scrub! The other way was, obviously, not working as well. We'll work the paste in later in the game!